The Yellow Gingham Dress, Pt. 2

Things are going well with the yellow gingham dress! 

When I started the project, I actually intended to hand sew the elastic into the dress. That might sound a little bit crazy to the experienced sewers out there, but I hand sew any time I'm making repairs to my clothes, and that's usually the only reason that I do any sewing. 

The practical realities of sewing in the elastic, though, meant that I didn't have any other option than using the sewing machine. It took me about half an hour to figure out how to thread the thing, but once that was done, things went fairly smoothly.

The finished panel. Not very pretty from the inside, but it looks much better on the outside.

The finished panel. Not very pretty from the inside, but it looks much better on the outside.

Just started on this one. Now you can see just how stretched out it was!

Just started on this one. Now you can see just how stretched out it was!

As I mentioned in the video, the fabric has become weakened at the waist seam and was starting to split. I think the decision to turn the dress into a two piece set was a good one - I like the versatility of a matching set, how it can be worn as a dress or in combo with other pieces. 

I'm hoping to have this finished by the end of next week, so stay posted!